[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: Protected Page...

On Mon, 13 May 1996, Dana Hudes wrote:

> Directories do chew up disk space. It is not just the kbytes but
> i-nodes (on unix) or FAT entries (on DOS). For small server this is fine
> if you only have a few documents to server up. But for a big server with
> undreds of documents you are making life more difficult. In addition,
> many graphics are common to all or many pages so you keep them in a
> /icons directory or something .
>
> Also consider that many file systems sw will cache directories (at least
> the TOC). I encourage grouping file together in a directory if they are
> related to each other logically. Merely being by the same author is not
> sufficient of course, and one certainly can and should use directory
> tress that match the logical structure of the information you are serving.
>  Also remember when nesting your directories that there are definite
> limits on the length of a path name on many machines (and do you really
> want a 32-deep path name?).

A workaround for this might be symbolic links.  In general, they
consume less resources than a real i-node... on some systems they are
merely an entry in the i-node pointed to by the link.  You can use
the server config files to map URL requests to wherever, and to configure
access on each symlink separately without sucking up i-nodes with
a bunch of directories.

Jeremey Barrett
Senior Software Engineer			jeremey@forequest.com
The ForeQuest Company       			http://www.forequest.com/

   "less is more."
		-- Mies van de Rohe.

   Ken Thompson has an automobile which he helped design.  Unlike most
   automobiles, it has neither speedometer, nor gas gage, nor any of the
   numerous idiot lights which plague the modern driver.  Rather, if the
   driver makes any mistake, a giant "?" lights up in the center of the
   dashboard.  "The experienced driver", he says, "will usually know
   what's wrong."

		-- 'fortune` output

Follow-Ups: References: